Below, you will find a list of the activities that your child, with your guidance, should be completing daily for home-learning. The activities will generally remain the same, while the materials used to complete them will gradually increase in difficulty. Please ONLY spend 10 – 15 minutes an evening on HOME-LEARNING. We want this to be an ENJOYABLE experience for you and your child. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me at any time. I look forward to working with you to help your child reach his/her reading potential. Thanks SO MUCH for your SUPPORT!!Each Evening:
- Please have your child read the FAMILIAR book in the take-home folder. It is an EASIER/INDEPENDENT reading level to promote good FLUENCY. Your child will be able to put more focus on “SOUNDING LIKE TALKING” because he/she won’t be heavily focused on decoding the words.
- Please read the NEW book WITH your child. (This has the HIGHER level number on the back of the book.) This book will be on your child’sINSTRUCTIONAL level. We will have typically practiced this together in class; however, they STILL may need some HELP/SUPPORT/PROMPTING from you.
- Please have your child read the SIGHT WORD cards/and or list when they are included in his/her take-home folder. Show a word card to your child. If your child doesn’t say the word within 2-3 seconds, say it for him/her and have him/her repeat it three times while looking at it. Some of these words CANNOT be sounded out. We call them “TRICK WORDS.” Then have your child try to write the word a few times. Repetition is key!
- Have your child reconstruct the CUT-UP SENTENCE in the envelope (when included). The sentence will be written on the outside of the envelope. Read it to your child and have him/her repeat it. See if he/she can reconstruct it without any assistance. Then allow your child to glue the reconstructed sentence.
- Please complete and sign your child’s home-learning log. I will check it daily. Not only is it a great record of your child’s practice; but also, it’s a great communication tool for us. If you have any questions or concerns, record them on the log and I’ll try my best to respond promptly.