Harnett County Schools Child Nutrition is excited to announce the implementation of The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) at six of our schools. This provision enables each student enrolled at a participating site the opportunity to receive a breakfast and lunch at no charge on days when school is in session. Students enrolled at participating CEP schools are not required to submit a lunch application to receive meals at no charge.

    Harnett County Schools will continue to participate in CEP during the 2022-2023 school year.

     Schools participating in CEP for the 2022-2023 school year are:

    • Dunn Elementary 
    • Dunn Middle School
    • Erwin Elementary
    • Johnsonville Elementary
    • Lillington Shawtown Elementary
    • STAR Academy

     Common questions and answers are as follows:

     What does CEP mean for Lunch Applications?

    Schools that are participating in CEP will not distribute lunch applications to their students for the 2022-2023 school year. However, schools not participating in CEP will continue to distribute lunch applications to students for Head of Household completion and return to the respective school cafeteria manager. The cafeteria manager will send the completed application to the Child Nutrition main office for processing and eligibility determination.

     What if one sibling is attending a CEP school and the other is not?

    The student that is not attending the CEP school will need to submit a lunch application to apply for benefits. All students attending Harnett County Schools, including those attending a CEP school, must be listed in section one (1) of the application to reflect actual household size. Please note that all other non-student household members should be listed in section three (3) of the application. Please contact the Child Nutrition main office at (910)-893-8151 ext 259 for questions as to why one sibling may be receiving a meal at no charge and the other does not.

     What if one sibling is attending a CEP school, but is transferring to a non-CEP school?

     Although the student received meals at no charge at the CEP school that does not mean the student will receive the same benefits if they transfer to a non-CEP school. If a student transfers from a CEP school to a non-CEP school within the same county and the student is not otherwise eligible for meals at no charge (e.g., SNAP direct certifications, homeless, migrant, etc), an application must be submitted to the cafeteria manager or the Child Nutrition main office, upon enrollment in the non-CEP school. Completed applications will be processed within 10 days of receipt at the Child Nutrition main office.

     At a CEP site, may a student be charged for an incomplete meal if the student refuses to select the components required for a complete meal?

     Yes. This is the same policy at non-CEP schools. A student can select an incomplete meal. However, because the incomplete meal may not be claimed for Federal Reimbursement, the student will be charged a la carte prices for the food on the tray.

     Can students at a CEP school purchase additional food items?

     Yes. Students can purchase additional food items such as extra entrees or sides (as approved) and/or approved snack items available for purchase.

     If you have additional questions not addressed in this informational flyer, please contact the Child Nutrition Office at (910)-893-8151 ext 259.

question mark
  • The Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) is a meal service option for schools and school districts in low-income areas. A key provision of The Healthy, Hunger Free Kids Act (HHFKA, Public Law 111-296; December 13, 2010), CEP allows the nation’s highest poverty schools and districts to serve breakfast and lunch at no cost to all enrolled students without the burden of collecting household applications. Instead, schools that adopt CEP are reimbursed using a formula based on the percentage of students participating in other specific means-tested programs, such as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).