Harnett County Schools Child Nutrition

  • Harnett County School's Child Nutrition Services would like to take this opportunity to acquaint you with our services. Our goal is to provide high-quality meals for your child that are both nutritious and appealing at a reasonable cost. Hungry children have been shown to exhibit behavioral changes which may limit their response to learning opportunities. Great food and friendly service is very important to us! We will do whatever is necessary to ensure that our students receive courteous service, attractive, and well-balanced meals every day. Our team of food service professionals is committed to providing the best. We look forward to serving your child and you every day this year!


    • What is included in a school meal?
      • A breakfast meal includes an entree made with grain and/or protein, fat free or 1% milk, and fruit and/or juice. A lunch includes an entree made with grain and/or protein, fat free or 1% milk, up to two vegetables and fruits. 
    • What is the cost for meals?
      • Breakfast is $1.50 for K-5 grade levels and $1.75 for 6-12 grade levels as well as adults. Lunch is $2.75 for K-5 grade levels, $3.00 for 6-12 grade levels and $4.00 for adults. Breakfast and lunch are free for students that qualify for reduced-priced meals. 
    • Why aren't meals free like the past two years?
      • Because of COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government made breakfast and lunch meals available free-of-charge for all students during the past two years.The free meals ended on June 30th, 2022 and congress did not renew the program. Therefore, meal prices are in effect this year. 
    • How do parents apply for free or reduced-priced meals?
      • Parents with a child at a non-CEP school (see list on CEP tab) are encouraged to apply to receive free or reduced-priced meals. Eligibility is based on household income and the number of people in the household. The application (in paper format) can be picked up at the school office or school cafeteria. The application (in electronic format, which is also the fastest) can be completed by clicking here.
    • How do parents pay for their child's meals?
      • Cash or checks are accepted in school cafeterias. Parents wanting to pay by credit or debit can visit K12 Payment Center to set up an account. Please note that any balances from the previous year will roll over. If your K12 Payment Center account appears to be at $0.00 at the start of the school year, the first time your child goes through the cafeteria line the balance will be re-activated. 
    • What if my child has a special dietary need?
      • If a student has a special dietary need/or need for a unique mealtime, parents should complete a diet order form; the form must be signed by a recognized medical authority i.e. a physician. The form can be found here. Please note that previous medical statements do follow your student each year; if there are no changes there is no need to request a new one from your physicians' office. 
    • Still have questions?
      • Contact the Office of Child Nutrition at (910) 893-8151.
  • Our online applications are OPEN NOW

    For the fastest way to process your lunch application,
    please click on the icon below. 



  • Our Child Nutrition staff would like to encourage everyone to participate

    in pre-paying for their students' meals online by clicking the link below. 


    K12 Payment Center

Staff Photo
  • In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. 


    Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.


    To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:


    (1)        mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

    1400 Independence Avenue, SW

    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;


    (2)        fax: (202) 690-7442; or


    (3)        email: program.intake@usda.gov.


    This institution is an equal opportunity provider.